The following savory cake is typically something that H. would have served to all her guests for a Summer lunch. It is definitively something that her daughter would cook for her nowadays. Or me if I get a chance to see them this Summer. As I already wrote, French are in love with Savory cakes and I just hope that some of you might give them a try now that picnics and BBQs are de saison. Cakes Salés are very easy to make and always bring joy around the table! Bon Appétit!
- 200 gr (7 oz) all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ts baking powder
- 1/2 ts baking soda
- 150 ml (5 Fl oz) buttermilk
- 50g (1.8 oz) grated Swiss cheese
- 85gr ( 3 oz) smoked salmon, ideally cut into dices.
- A few sprigs of fresh dill, minced
- 2 large fresh leeks, cleaned and sliced into small pieces
- 1/4 ts salt
- Pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 360F (180C)
- In a pan, saute the leeks in butter for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir well.
- Add dill and grated cheese and stir some more.
- Add smoked salmon and leeks, stir gently.
- Pour the batter in a loaf pan
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top of batter
- Cook in the oven for about 40 minutes. An insert should come out clean.
- Unmold and cool on a rack.
My Personal Comments:
- If you like smoked salmon, you could add more.