Because I found an affordable jar of saffron the other day I bought it, thinking that I would be able to find une recette ou deux to use it beyond Bouillabaisse and Sauce Rouille. Risotto is not one of them because my husband is
It did not take me long to make this dish, which has now become one of my emergency dinners. My children loved the beautiful yellow-orange color Saffron gave to the rice... and they even asked for what it was. I did show them my tiny jar of Saffron but did not let them play with it either! Chances are, they'll love Saffron even more than I do! Bon Appétit!
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Long grain rice
- A few Saffron threads (some for the rice and some for the shrimp)
- Crème Fraîche
- Olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste
My Personal Comments:
- Cook rice with Saffron threads according to instructions.
- In the meantime, in a pan, over medium heat, saute the onion in olive oil.
- Add the shrimp and saute until the shrimp are fully cooked.
- Add Creme Fraiche and another thread or two of Saffron to the shrimp. Season with salt and black pepper
- Serve over rice.
- You could do without crème fraîche but I would add a little bit of white wine to create a sauce.
- The shrimp have to be eaten that same day.
- I use frozen shrimp; I added frozen peas for extra vegetables.