As I already mentioned, tartes salées (savory tarts) are big favorites of French people. They are even more popular when it comes to potluck meals or picnic. It's easy to make, even in advance; you can serve at least 8 if not 12 French children in one tarte... and it never gets waster because it makes great leftovers.This recipe would be very French without the Ricotta, which French people seem to only be discovering. I find that Ricotta adds a nice flavor to cover the egg-based batter. It's also something different....Whenever I use ricotta in a tarte salée, I don't use crème fraiche or light cream because the ricotta adds enough fat.
This recipe has become a favorite in our family (it has leeks and bacon : who would not like it???)! I don't know what my friend will
For the dough:
- 1 1/4 cup (160g) of All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbs butter (70gr), cold and diced
- 3 or 4 Tbs ice cold water
For the Filling:
- Mix in the flour and the salt
- Add the butter and use a fork or a pastry cutter to make small pea-size pieces
- Pour 2 Tbs of water and mix in
- Pour the remaining of water, one tablespoon at a time
- Use your hand to make a ball with the dough, being careful not to work the dough too much
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Butter and flour one 9-inch tart mold.
- Roll the dough onto a floured surface to make a 10-inch circle
- Refrigerate while you prepare the filling
- 3 slices of bacon, cut in small pieces
- 3 leeks, washed and cut in small pieces
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Ricotta
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 cup (80g) shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and black pepper
My Personal Comments:
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C)
- In a skillet, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat. When cooked, take them out.
- Disregard most of the bacon fat so that the skillet is still coated with a thin layer of fat
- Add the leeks to the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes in the bacon fat.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, ricotta, milk, salt and pepper together
- Add leeks and bacon and stir
- Cover with the batter and then with shredded cheese
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Let cool before unmolding and serving
- You could skip the bacon to make it vegetarian
- The Little Leek was made by Leslieyam whose Etsy shop is here.