These days, I get
When I cook dinner (they bring their lunch to school during the week), I naturellement try to serve something they'll like. I am not in for a fight over food. However, I am also trying to introduce them to new dishes, so, of course, I am going to serve them things they have not been exposed to before or have been but in a different way. They might not like it the first time. They might not like it the second time. Even the third time.... but no matter what, they have to try it first before they affirm "je n'aime pas ça". Because, truth be told, most of the time, they'll like it.
Planning the meal for the week is a way for me to balance the easy-no-fight dishes (like socca) with the a-little-bit-more-difficult ones (like gratin de choux-fleur). It enables me to choose the evenings to serve one dish rather than another. It's easier to have them eat something they really like on a school night (when they are tired and we are on a schedule to put them to bed early) and keep the more challenging dishes for Friday evening or the week-end (that way, I tell them that they won't have it in their lunchbox the next day! And if we are having our weekly apéritif, I can always bribe them (yeah, I do that too!!). Bonne Cuisine!
WEEKLY MENU - WEEK 14
|Monday||Stuffed Tomatoes with Quinoa|
Plain Yogurt with Chestnut Spread
|Tuesday||Socca With Caramelized Onions with Green Salad|
Crème Renversée au Caramel a l'Orange
|Wednesday||Zucchini - Fennel Soup with Polenta Croutons|
Homemade Plain Yogurt with honey
|Thursday||Tuna Curry with Yellow Squash Over Rice|
Pommes au Four (Baked Apples)
|Friday||Gratin of Baked Fall Vegetables|
Homemade Plain Yogurt with dark brown sugar
- Make the Tomates Farcies (Stuffed Tomatoes) on Sunday evening. It will save you a lot of time for Monday
- If you are making your own yogurt, make your weekly batch on Sunday evening.
- You only have to re-heat the Tomates Farcies and cook some quinoa (15mn)
- Make Crème Renversée on Monday. The longer the crèmes rest in the fridge, the better. If you re-heat the Tomates Farcies in the oven, then you don't have to re-heat your oven for the Tomates Farcies.
- You have to make the Socca. If you are serving it with caramelized onions, then make the Socca batter and then while it rests, cook the onions. It takes a while for them to caramelize.
- You have to make the Zucchini - Fennel soup and the Polenta Croutons
- Start with making the Polenta. The Croutons need to rest a little bit in the fridge before you bake them in the oven. While they are in the fridge, make the soup
- You have to make the Tuna Curry, cook the rice and bake the apples in the oven.
- Start with the apples. One they are in the oven, make the curry
- While the curry is on the stove, you can make the rice.
- It's Friday! Enjoy!
- You only have to make the Gratin. It requires a little bit of work to peel all the vegetables but worth it!