Monday, October 19, 2009

Tuna Curry with Yellow Squash and Rice

A lover of Indian and Thai food, I frequently cook curry for my family. It's always a hit with my children unless I make it really too spicy!  I find that it's an easy way to cook fish, shrimp, pork or chicken with vegetables. I like it with tuna because coconut milk balances the dryness of tuna.Unlike some curry recipes, I don't use potatoes as I always serve the dish over rice or couscous...
This recipe is made with yellow squash because we had them in the fridge and I did not know what to do with them. However, I generally use zucchinis or green peas in addition to onion, bell peppers, carrots, and tomatoes. But it's really up to you to use what you have/like. It's a great recipe to introduce new vegetables to children because if cut in small pieces; mixed in with coconut milk, proteins, and rice/couscous; children don't really notice them! Bon Appétit!
Ingredients
- Ahi Tuna (a large piece for 4 people), cut in small pieces
- 1 onion minced

- 1 or 2 carrot(s), sliced
- 1 small Red and/or green/yellow bell pepper minced
- 1 yellow squash (or zucchini) sliced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 1 tablespoon of Curry Paste
- 1 can of (light) coconut milk
- Olive oil, salt and fresh black pepper
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
  • In a large saute pan (with lid) , saute the onion in olive oil
  • Add the bell peppers, carrots, and squash, saute for another 2-3 minutes
  • Add the tuna and saute together with the vegetables
  • Add the tomato, coconut milk, and curry paste. Cook under very slow heat, stirring occasionally.
  • Add salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro to taste
  • Serve over (Basmati/Thai) rice or couscous.

My personal comments:
  • I generally use frozen bell peppers. I found a mix of green, yellow, and orange bell peppers which I always have in the freezer if I don't have fresh pepper (or don't feel like slicing one that day!)
  • I purchase the light coconut milk to cut down on calories. You might want to try different brands to find your favorite coconut milk.
  • I use a hot curry paste; I only use a tiny bit for my children (I serve them first) and then I add some more for us.
  • I only add salt at the end of the recipe because the curry paste is high in sodium.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog.
    I bet this recipe would taste good with salmon. DO you use the frozen chopped onions? they are lifesaver. they save me time and tears

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melissa. I have not moved onto frozen chopped onions yet... so yes, tears, tears, and more tears in the kitchen! My kids know that onions make you cry!!
    When L. is able to eat solids (if not already), you could use some of the recipes (soup) for her meals. I'll post more "purees" and soups recipes in the near future, especially for babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great blog, Gaelle. I would love to know if you usually serve an entree (or as we say here an appetizer) and/or salad and/or cheese at each meal as, in my experience, many French people do? I find myself serving a lot of one dish meals much like this one and that's it. Nothing else. As my husband is French I feel like somewhere in the back of his mind he feels cheated for not having another course (although I do have salad fairly regularly I guess).

    ReplyDelete
  4. French have been known for their three-course meals (cheese is never counted as a course)... and yes, that's the way I grew up and how we usually eat in our house. That said, my appetizers are never sophisticated unless I have guests over. I will generally serve: a salad (cucumber, beets, tomatoes, carrots), avocado, radishes, or a cup of soup. After the main dish, we'll have either yogurt or cheese and then a piece of fruits. Since my kids don't drink milk after breakfast, it's way for them to have more dairy (calcium).
    Since living in the US, I have come to serve my kids their appetizer (except for soup) on the same plate as the entree; I found that they tend to eat better that way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete