Typically, in my family, we would celebrate the birthday on the week-end closest to the day, never on the actual day. Some people might find it strange; friends of mine loved it because it meant that if they were invited over for a Sunday meal, they would most likely be offered a great birthday meal! And if they happened to have their birthday close by too, they would be asked to chose their birthday menu as well!
I have kept this tradition at home: we don't celebrate birthday on the actual day; we just make it work for all of us. We also let the birthday girl/boy choose the menu. With my children, we can expect French fries and chocolate cake these days!
This salad is very fresh and easy to make. Depending on the dressing you select, it could be on the lighter (lime) or the not-so-lighter (mayonnaise) side. I personally served it with cream but added red hot sauce on my plate. My children only complain about this salad was that there was too much crab and not enough avocado! I have heard worse! Bon Appétit!
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 small pink grapefruit, peeled and all the different skins off.
- Cooked shrimp, peeled and cut into pieces (about 3 per person)
- Crab meat (or fake crab meat)
- Fresh cilantro, minced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients and add dressing
- Serve immediately
- Lime juice + salt + black pepper
- Heavy cream
- Tabasco (or other red hot sauce)
- Mayonnaise + Ketchup + (hot sauce?)
My Personal Comments:
- I had real crab meat left over from our Christmas dinner, so I used it in the salad but you could definitively use fake crab meat or canned crab meat.
- You could add a few leaves of green salad as well
- You could serve in the the avocado skins if you had sliced them in two and carved them or in the grapefruit skin as well. It requires a little bit more prep time.