Thursday, October 29, 2009

Carrots and Fresh Mint Soup - "Build Up Recipe"

  
I had carrots (lots of carrots) in the fridge and I did not know what to do with them. It also happened that I had fresh mint available. I thought that I could make carrots puree (mashed carrots) but since it was really cold outside, I felt that a soup would be more appropriate. I called this recipe "Build Up Recipe" because you could feed infants, picky eaters, children and adults without changing the recipe a lot.  Friends of mine have asked me to publish more recipes that could feed picky eaters... and even if my children are not too picky, there are days when I adapt my recipes to make sure dinner will be pleasant for everybody....

For infants and/or picky eaters, you can serve them just a carrots puree;for kids who eat soup, you serve them the carrots soup; and for grown-ups, you serve the soup with fresh mint on top. The difference between the puree and the soup (in this case) is just the amount of liquid you'll pour in. Bon Appétit!

Ingredients
- 1 pound (500g) of carrots, cut in small pieces
- 1 onion minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 3 small potatoes
- Fresh mint, minced
- Olive oil, salt and fresh black pepper

  • In a large pot (with lid) , saute the onion and garlic in olive oil
  • Add the carrots and potatoes and saute for another 2-3 minutes
  • Pour 3 cups (750 ml) of water
  • Simmer until carrots and potatoes are cooked (about 15 minutes)
  • Scoop the vegetables out and reserve the cooking water.
  • Blend the vegetables, adding water to desired consistency (puree, soup)
  • Add salt and black pepper to taste
  • Serve with fresh mint, crème fraîche and toasted bread.

My personal comments:
  • I use an immersion blender when I know there is enough liquid for the soup
  • You could freeze the remaining of the puree/soup to serve another time
  • If my children are only eating soup for dinner, I add couscous to the soup.
  • If you cook the mint with the vegetables, you won't feel the taste. If your children are not picky about eating "green pieces" in their soup, then you could try adding some. That's what I did with my children and they did not pick the mint.
  • I use a pressure cooker to make this soup and it cooks in less than 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment