Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blueberries Pound Cake - Cake aux Myrtilles

At least, once a year, I have this stupid idea go through the endeavor of cleaning the freezer. Which means that for a few weeks prior to that I try to incorporate as many frozen ingredients in my daily cooking ; trying to avoid the French fries-fish fingers-ice cream dinner autant que faire se peut.
I don't freeze much food I make myself, a few soups and bread here and there excepted. The main reason behind this is that I never make too much that won't be eaten during the same week. However, I do use the freezer to stock on frozen food such as emergency dinner-type-of-food (fish fingers, Asian dumplings) or frozen vegetables that I integrate in my daily cooking.
If you were to open the freezer door tonight (knowing that I have been working on "cleaning" the freezer for about 3 weeks now), you would see : peas, corn, spinach, blueberries and other berries, store-bought pie crust and filo dough, a bag of French fries,  homemade bread, and no fewer than 8 open pints of icecream in the flavors  of Amaretto, coffee, raspberry, mango, chocolate sorbet, chocolate icecream, banana, pistachio!!
Then there is my husband's icecream collection! And that, to tell the truth, is the hardest to go through! Not not because we just do not it ice cream... but just because whenever my husband goes grocery shopping he generally comes back with another pints (or two) of icecream that happened to be on sale (and he CAN NOT resist purchasing icecream if it's on sale!!). Our icecream inventory therefore hardly ever goes down...  It would only if I were to declare an "Icecream Week"... but that's not even a thought I have despite the joy it would bring to my children... Alternatively, I could have a lot of children over to help with our icecream stock... but then again, we can't entertain THAT many kids at once in our small apartment. No matter how much my children would love it too!
That to say that I don't know when I am going to be able to clean the freezer... At least, through this recipe (inspired by Tartelette), I got a few blueberries out (but that's not the hardest to get rid of!)! Bon Appetit!
Ingredients:
- 1 stick (113gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (120gr) powdered sugar, unsifted
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (155gr) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of one lemon (optional)- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) buttermilk (or whole milk)
- 1 cup (145gr) blueberries

  • Preheat the oven to 350F and position a rack in the center.
  • In a bowl mix the butter and powdered sugar until creamy.
  • Add the eggs, one at a time and beating well after each addition.
  • Add the flour, baking powder and salt and the lemon zest.
  • Add the buttermilk and mix well until combined. 
  • Fold in the blueberries by hand. 
  • Pour the batter in a lightly-buttered prepared pan and bake for 30 to 45 minutes (tend with foil midway if the top seems to brown faster than the cakes bake).
My Personal Comments:
  • I really like the additional flavor brought by the lemon zest
  • You could make individual cakes with this recipe; you would have to adjust cooking time since individual cakes cook faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment