Monday, July 19, 2010

My 10 favorite American Food

Over the last 15 years, I have lived for about 10 years in the US (sounds crazy, right?)... that's about 3650 days or 7300 meals (excluding breakfasts ;snacks are not, by definition, meals). Some of these meals were home-made (i.e., my daily cooking and most likely not typical American food); some of them (a lot!) were Asian meals at restaurants or with my Asian friends in California, so I'm not counting them either....
I would not be able to tell you where and when I ate my ten favorite American food for the first time... but I can tell you that they have had an impact on my multi-cultural eating habits!

Here are the 10 American things I miss the most when I go back to France because yes, not matter how strange it can seem, I do miss a few things, food-wise, from the US! Who knows, maybe ten years down the road, I'll have had the opportunity to try something else that would make it to my top 10. What would it be?

Here is the list in no particular order... I'm just happy to live in the US to be able to eat them (almost) whenever I want:

  1. Poppyseed bagels : toasted with Lox, capers, black pepper, lemon juice and, if available, alfalfa sprouts.... but I don't like them plain! It is also a Top 10 favorite of my children and husband.
  2. Fresh sweet Corn on the cob with lots of real butter, salt, and pepper.
  3. Clam chowder for the cold and rainy days.
  4. Candied Pecans on any baby spinach salad or just like that; warm preferably
  5. Coleslaw, I now make it myself because I don't go out that much any more and I can control the dressing...
  6. A hamburger but I'm not talking Double Arch kind-of-burger. I mean a real grilled juicy one, made to order. 
  7. Crab cakes : any day, any meal. I ate the best crab cakes ever in San Francisco. I was having a business lunch with a senior manager from our office. I just wished I had better company to share that crab cake! Never found a better one since. Still looking. Still hoping...
  8. Pumpkin Cake (not pie), best ever eaten in Canada (but that's OK, no?) at my husband's cousin's in-laws about 6 years ago. I'm still trying to get the recipe.
  9. Carrot Muffins: hard to find but really good in the morning.... still looking for the perfect recipe. Anyone?
  10. Corn bread, preferable with real corn kernels inside and Parmesan cheese (but is that the American version?)

    2 comments:

    1. AnonymousJuly 25, 2010

      If you like candied pecans, you might like pecan pie. Never heard of pumpkin cake, but I remember having zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting. (Cream cheese frosting makes anything taste delicious.) Googling for squash cake recipes, I find that pumpkin can be substituted for squash. Cornbread preferences are regional: North prefers sweet with high flour proportion;
      South prefers less sweet, less flour. No kernals, no cheese in everyday cornbread.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love this list! I should have made a top 10 favorites the year I was living in France! (le Petit Suisse ranks #1 for sure!) Haha... as for carrot muffins, I do have a great recipe, and I promise to post it soon.

      ReplyDelete