Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Orange Salad with Star Anise Syrup

We are in the middle of a snow storm in Philadelphia. Encore!... and even though I generally enjoy snow (the city gets quiet; everybody is friendly,...), I did not feel like leaving my place today because it really felt like blizzard. While I would have enjoyed staying in bed with a good book and large cup of coffee (when was the last time I did that??? Hmm can't even remember!!), I had two young children to attend and entertain! All of a sudden, with no playdate, no outside activity (too much blizzard), the day ahead seemed VERY long... Fortunately, with some projects (sewing, singing, play-doh, cooking, reading, taking the garbage out to the end of the long (very long) hallway), a long nap (them, not me!!),  we made it and had a great day!



Because it really feels like the middle of winter, I was all of a sudden craving fresh fruits (we ate too much starch/wheat lately)... It's citrus season in Florida, they say... and since I was lucky enough to have enough oranges and blood oranges on hand, I made a simple brightening dessert on this white day.
If it had been summer, I would have added lavender pods to this salad... but since it was really winter, I thought that a syrup with star anise would be perfect. Alternatively, you could use vanilla beans or cinnamon (which I am sure 100% of you have in your cupboards; there is something about Americans and cinnamon!!!). 
My children love oranges; my younger one who is starting to talk is able to say "orange sanguine" (d'accord, something that sounds like it), which I find cute...  so I had no problem feeding them this dessert. Besides, this makes a great grown-ups fresh dessert after a heavy meal...  If you are steadily trying to shed those extra winter pounds, it might be a great thing to serve to your next dinner party. Not today if you live on the East Coast because you might need that extra fat to get you going out in the snow tomorrow! 
Until then, I am going to have a large mug of French verbena and read a few pages of my book! Bonsoir!


Ingredients: 
For 6 people:

- 6 large juicy oranges, skin off, sliced thinly
- A few blood oranges, skin off, sliced thinly
- Red grapefruit (mine were not pink enough so I omitted them)



For the syrup:
- Star Anise (I used about 4 stars which gave a strong flavor)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- Juice of 2 oranges 
Put all the ingredients together and simmer over medium-heat until liquid is reduced. Cool and serve on/on the side of the salad.

My Personal Comments:
  • It makes a great summer dessert as well.
  • You can pretty much use any citrus fruits you have available.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! And it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds simple and lovely! And looks gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete