Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First Bites..... ..Cauliflower and Red Lentils Puree

As I said in my post on lentils, lentils are very good for you...Lentils are really healthy: they are high in fiber, iron, magnesium, and folate. They are also fat-free and high in proteins. Besides, they are affordable, hence a great dish to serve to your family. You should definitively add them to your monthly diet (if not already!).
While we mostly eat French Blue Lentils at home, I have come to purchase red lentils (lentilles corail, in French) to add them in vegetable soups. Red lentils cook very fast and, therefore, don't "hold" as well as green or blue lentils and the few times I have tried not to overcook them, I failed.
Just because, you know, I decided to sit down for 5 minutes and read the newspaper someone else was calling for me from the bathroom or the sudden silence in the kids' bedroom did not sound right at this time of day! When I cook for my family, I like things that don't need too much attention. Red lentils needs attention... but between my kids and red lentils, when it comes to my attention, my choice is made. Red lentils can ALWAYS be pureed in a healthy eatable dish... as opposed to my children who could not really function in any other shape (or could they?)
Because just plain red lentils puree would be too difficult to swallow for an infant or toddler, I mix it with cauliflower. The cauliflower taste is subtle because the lentils tend to take over. It's a great way to make your little ones eat cauliflower (I should try this dish on my husband!!) If you wanted to add spices, you could add cumin to make it more flavorful. You could also make it a little bit more watery (soup-like) and add whole-grain couscous for a full-protein meal.  Bon Appétit!



Ingredients:
- Red lentils (about 1 cup dry)
- 1 small cauliflower head, washed and cut into florets.
- salt, pepper
- cumin powder (optional)

  • In a pot, boil the cauliflower and the red lentils together.
  • Drain the vegetables, keeping the cooking water.
  • Blend and add cooking water back to achieve desirable consistency
  • Add salt, pepper and cumin.
My Personal Comments:
  • I used my pressure cooker and it cooked in less than 5 minutes
  • If you cook too much, you can freeze the leftovers to serve in on another day.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum, yummm... Makes me wish I wouldn't have teeth yet!!!

    ReplyDelete