Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lemoncurd

When my husband goes grocery shopping (yeah, yeah, he goes and even offers to go), I am sure that he'll use his "power of the shopper" to bring something back that I was not expecting (list or no list, it does not matter). A bunch of Swiss chards is expected (have you seen all the recipes with Swiss chard in this blog?). Avocados are expected. Two pounds of tiny potatoes are expected. A full bag of Meyer lemons is not, (well not as much as the potatoes.So whenever I see something unexpected, either there is a strong statement: "I thought that we could have x" (read: he would most likely make the dish UNLESS it's one my "specialties" (read: he is too lazy does not want to try to learn how to make it (and somehow, I have a lot of "specialties".)))
Or there is this subtle hint along the line of... "could-we-please-have-something-sweet-for-a-change?" (read:  I have been out of the baking territory for too long but he does not intend to bake himself. ) It's subtle and it's one of the annoying wonderful things about marriage: being able to get your spouse's language subtleties! Depending on my mood willingness to really understand the hint, I act upon it. Or not.  And if I do, well, then, I am using my "power of the baker" and make what I feel like making, not necessarily what my husband would have liked me to bake.
The other day, donc, my husband went grocery shopping. And he brought back Meyer lemons. He fell in love with Meyer lemons a few years ago and has been purchasing some everytime he sees them (hence the somewhat expected when in season; they make great Lemonade!) Well, the other day, he confessed, that he was really looking for Key limes because he wanted to have a Key Lime Pie (why? don't ask!). Because he failed to find some, his choice fell back on Meyer Lemons. Key Lime Pie, he would have baked himself. Meyer Lemons dessert, it was up to me! (why? don't ask!)  I had few ideas but decided to make lemon curd. This recipe by Tartelette is nothing like the store-bought jar of lemon curd you could purchase. It's more like a crème au citron (lemon custard) and I like it even better for that (but maybe the store-bought-jars are nothing like real lemon curd!!) To the point that I could just spoon it out and eat it comme ca. Very unlike me! My kids are big fans of lemons too (why? don't ask!), so lemon curd is something they also enjoy (not as much as the petits pots de crème though). My husband was expecting something else with the Meyer lemons (maybe a Meyer Lemons Pie??) but he overcame his disappointment and ate the lemon curd as well. He did say that "it would be perfect with a cake au citron" (Read: one of my "specialties"!) Bon Appétit!



Ingredients 
(recipe by Tartelette)
- ½ cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (4gr) lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (100gr) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon (28gr) butter



  • In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the lemon juice, zest and sugar and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally to make sure the sugar is dissolved. 
  • In the meantime, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl just until combined. 
  • Once the lemon mixture is hot, slowly pour it over the eggs to temper, continuously whisking to prevent the eggs from scrambling. 
  • Return the mixture to the pan set over medium low heat and cook until thick. Do not let it come to a full boil or it might separate. 
  • Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and whisk until it is fully melted. 
  • Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and let cool to room temperature.
My Personal Comments:
  • It is indeed really good with a Cake au Citron or scones.
  • Even though the eggs are fully cooked, I would not keep it for more than 2 days in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I adore lemon curd on a toasted english muffin--bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this recipe before. The first time I made it, I was not patient and did not temper the eggs. The result? Sour scrambled eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete