Thursday, March 17, 2011

Carrots - Sweet Potatoes Soup Thai Style

"Hmm, elle est super bonne ta soupe maman" did I get as a compliment when I served this Thai-style carrots and sweet potatoes soup a few weeks ago (honnest, that's what they said!). From both my children! I was surprised because I did not expect them to like it as much (it has fresh ginger after all).. How wrong was I! It has become my daughter's favorite soup. And mine as well these days...(just had some for lunch today actually!)
The first comment my children made was that this soup tasted like their favorite mussels recipe, "tu sais la bonne recette, pas celle que j'aime pas" (meaning "the good one, not the one I don't like") and of course I knew which recipe she liked better than the other when it comes to mussels : just timing how much time it takes them to finish their plate is generally a good indication of a pass/fail test!)
All in all, what they really like is the combinaison of lemongrass and coconut milk...so I might try to cook different recipes with this combo so as to introduce new dishes to them.
This recipe from Mark Bittman is rich : so make sure you don't serve two full bowls of it before a main dish. If it's going to be an appetizer, a small bowl will be enough (well, not enough because you might enjoy it so much that everybody will want a second serving!) At home, I generally serve it "as a main dish" together with bread and a salad or I make sure that my children have a piece of fresh fruit for dessert.
Simple. Easy and "super bonne"! Coming from a 5 1/2 and a 3 year-old, it's worth giving it a try, nonBon Appetit!
Ingredients:
- 3 stalks Lemongrass
- 10 nickel-size fresh ginger pieces (about 2cm)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- about 1 pound of carrot & sweet potatoes, cut in cubes.
- 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1 quart Coconut milk (about 2 cans)
- 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro (cut but keep the stems)
- Neutral Oil (grapeseed or corn) or Coconut oil salt.


  • Grate about 1/2 inch of each lemongrass stalk and cut the rest of in 1-in pieces.
  • Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the lemongrass, the ginger and garlic and cooke, stirring until the garlic is golden (about 5min)
  • Add the carrots/sweet potatoes, the Cayenne pepper. Stir to coat with oil and cook for about a minute.
  • Add the coconut milk, 2 cups of water, and the stems of Cilantro. 
  • Bring to a boil and then lower the temperature. Let is simmer for about 15 minutes or until the carrots/sweet potatoes are cooked.
  • Take the Cilantro stems out and puree the soup.
  • Adjust seasoning. 
  • Serve with  fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
 
My Personal Comments: 


  • I tend to keep the cilantro stems in the soup and puree them together with the rest.
  • Use good quality  coconut milk and not the non-fat version!
  • Since I bought coconut oil, I use it in this soup as well.
  • I just eat this soup with a piece of bread for lunch or dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment