Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

We are back in Philadelphia. Yes back and sweating!. I had forgotten how hot and humid Summer months can be in this city... That's when we take a walk to the nearby playground to enjoy the water sprinklers!That's when we open our door to make a draft with the freezing cold air of our building long corridor. That's when I do what I consider irrational (it's Summer after all) and take my children to do indoor activities when it's too hot to even breath outside! That's when the only thing I want to cook are icecream and gazpacho (recipe to follow one day). However, yesterday was my daughter's birthday and as a main dish she requested ribs. Ribs that cook for 3 hours in the oven! I know, it was irrational for us to accept to make that dish under current temperatures. But how to say no, especially since it has become one of our favorite "American" meals? (recipe to follow another day).
For dessert, my husband had made a Pavlova  (recipe to follow another another day) but the children were too tired from jetlag (I did not appreciate the 4 am wake-up call from the children' bedroom) to have dessert. I know, this is irrational too, especially in our family where "un petit dessert" is always welcome. We kept the dessert for today, assuming that they would be able to be up a little bit later since they woke up at only 6 am this morning (it did not feel like a grasse matinée though)! There was plenty of icecream to serve on the Pavlova : I could see that my husband had been alone for a few weeks and had stocked on icecream while we were gone (better than on hard alcohol, non?). However, there was no frozen yogurt because my husband does not like frozen yogurt and never purchases it. I, on the other hand, enjoy a good frozen yogurt. Having made a lot of sorbet, icecream and frozen yogurt lately, I have become quite difficult to please when it comes to icecreams and the likes. This recipe passed my tastebuds test. And my children'. Don't be irrational and trust us on this one, once again.  Bon Appétit!
Ingredients
- 450gr (1 pound ) strawberries
- 130 gr (4.58 oz) sugar
- 250 gr (8.81oz or 1 cup) whole milk yogurt
- 5ml (0.17 Fl oz or 1 ts) lemon juice
- 10ml (0.34 Fl oz or 2 ts) kirsh/Crème de cassis (optional)


  • Cut the strawberries in small pieces, add sugar (and alcohol) and let them "cook in their juice" for about 2 hours on the stove.
  • Once "cooked", put them in a blender together with the yogurt and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
  • Chill for one hour in the fridge and transfer to your icecream maker.

 My Personal Comments:
  • I used frozen strawberries; I used a sieve to get rid of the seeds before blending the coulis with the yogurt.
  • The quality of yogurt is important: chose a good quality one.
  • You could use goat cheese yogurt as well if you like its taste.

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter is a gal after my own heart-love me some ribs:-)

    ReplyDelete