Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cherry Clafoutis (Gluten-Free)

Since I started baking again, we rarely purchase cakes anymore. However, because I am not baking cheesecakes (yet), we do occasionally purchase New York style cheesecakes. We do that when we have visitors from Europe (too rarely!) and want to treat them with our homemade version of an American dinner: ribs, coleslaw, corn on the cob, corn bread and cheesecake. My husband likes cheesecakes but what he really likes is the combination of cheesecake with cherry topping. And when it comes to topping, if he can have the sweetest (read: full-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup) cherry topping, he is delighted. If he can't have it, his disappointment makes his whole dessert franchement décevant. I could not find that artificial cherry topping the other day at the supermarket. I promise, I was not trying not to see it! I just could not find it. I purchased whole cherries in syrup instead. But, as you can imagine, that did not qualify as cherry-topping for my husband. He ran to another store himself to get his favorite topping... and left us with a jar of pitted cherries in syrup. The first thing I thought of when I looked at the jar is to make a Clafoutis.
Clafoutis is a traditional French dessert which consists in cooking fruits in a flan-like batter. It's also your first and last resort dessert when you have plenty of Summer fruits (cherries, peaches, apricots, plums) and have to make a simple dessert. I remember, way back when I was living in California, a colleague had brought plums from her garden to the office because she had too many to eat! I immediately told her that she had to make a Clafoutis. Since she did not know what I was talking about, I offered to make it for her with her plums! Délicieux!
There is only one word for Clafoutis but you'll find as many recipes as bakers. I don't personally like the choking thick version. Since I wanted to make something different, I tried this Gluten Free recipe. As always we GF recipes, it tastes different but different does not mean, "pas bon". My husband, who grew up eating a family version of Clafoutis (and never tried to make his own (yeah, yeah, I am still waiting!!)), did find something to say about this one (my children loved it!). Evidemment! I had anticipated it so I did not take it personally. I was just happy to have discovered a new recipe for Clafoutis.  Now that Summer is around the corner, I promise to make a more traditional one soon. In the meantime, you can try this one... but PLEASE, don't use artificial cherry-topping for filling!  Bon Appétit!
Ingredients:
- 350gr (12oz) cherries pitted
- 75 gr (2.6 oz) almond flour
- 50 gr (1.8oz) sugar
- 30gr (1 oz) corn starch
- 1/4 ts bitter almond extract
- 1 egg + 1 yolk

- 125 ml (4.22 Fl oz) buttermilk
- Powder sugar
- Sliced almonds

  • In a bowl, mix in the almond flour, sugar and corn starch together
  • Gently whisk in the egg and the egg yolk
  • Add Buttermilk, stir until smooth
  • Add Almond extract.
  • Cover and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes

  • Pre-heat oven to 400F (200 C)
  • Lay the cherries into baking dish
  • Cover with batter
  • Cover with almond slices
  • Bake in the oven for 15mn
  • Increase oven temperature to 450F(225 C)
  • Open the oven and carefully, sprinkle with powdered sugar
  • Cook an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Cool before eating
My Personal Comments:
  • If your cherries are not very sweet, you could increase the amount of sugar a little. 
  • You could use the same base and cook it with peaches, nectarines, etc.
  • This dessert does not age well. It's best eaten the same day.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a great dessert to make in individual servings. I can hardly wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete